If you are in the market for a simple, low cost but an effective miter saw stand then the Bora Portamate miter saw stand, could be the one for you. Let’s take a look at what the PM400 Portamate folding miter saw stand has to offer.
We all face challenges when It comes to choosing products that we need to assist us in our work or hobby. The Portamate miter saw stand is no exception and there are questions we should ask before buying.
In order to satisfy ourselves that a certain product is going to do the job, we should consider the following. What’s good about it and whats not, Is it going to last and will my miter saw fit. Why is product X more expensive than product Y when it basically does the same thing?
This review should help anyone whos in the market for a dependable, portable miter saw stand that won’t break the bank. What you are looking for is a decent miter saw stand that’s rugged, dependable, easily stored and well priced.
Portamate Miter Saw Stand Overview and Specifications
Bora Portamate is not one of the more popular stands on the market, however, this is not to say the stand is total crap. Quite the opposite, the stand is more than robust enough for general purpose cutting and woodworking. The quality appears to be better than the price tag suggests.
The Portamate PM4000 is a basic, trouble-free miter saw stand ideal for contractors and DIY’ers who just want to get on with things. Whether you are working out of your garage, in the driveway, or out on the job this stand will get the job done.
The stand can handle up to 500 pounds yet is light enough and compact enough to haul around in the back of your truck with ease. Working from home, storage is no issue as the stand is most compact when folded.
- Weighing in at only 30 pounds without a saw.
- When folded the size is 43-1/2 inches long, 20 inches deep and 6-1/2 inches wide.
- Work height is 36 inches.
- Saw mounting is fast and easy using the quick attach mounting brackets. Hardware for mounting is included.
- Fully extended supports allows 10 feet of material support.
- Weight capacity up to 500 pounds.
- Powder coated tubular steel for strength and stability.
Commonly Asked Questions
What miter saws can be used with the Portamate Miter Saw Stand?
.The stand has clip-on mounting brackets that will fit any power saw that is a recognized brand, the likes of Makita, Hitachi, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and so on. The stand will also accommodate all types of saw from small 10-inch single bevel saws up to 12-inch dual bevel sliding compound miter saws.
What are the working dimensions of the Portamate PM4000?
Once fully open we have about 116 inches between supports, this allows up to 10 feet of material support.
With a working height of 36 inches, the Portamate miter saw stand gives us an efficient and ergonomic working height. This feature will reduce working fatigue, create a safer environment and increase your productivity.
Which other miter saw stands compare with the Portamate miter saw stand?
The other main competitor for this stand would be the DeWalt dwx723
Are wheels available for the stand
What Do We Like About The Portamate PM400
- Price, compared to other miter saw stands on the market of this style, the stand is the most competitively priced.
- The stand is stable and sturdy and easy to assemble.
- The stand comes with three different mounting bolt sizes to allow the fitting of any depth of miter saw base.
- Great instruction manual with diagrams and written in English.
- Legs fold up flat to the saw base to allow compact storage and swing out to a fuller stable footprint once in the open position.
What We Don’t Like
- The stand is somewhat cheaply made and I guess the price tag supports this.
- The support ends may not be able to handle really heavy lumber when fully extended, is probably best suited to cutting 2 x 4’s and lighter work such a trim and moldings.
- While good for general purpose work, It lacks a little in finesse as far as quality and fine adjustments.
- Not really a heavy duty contractors saw stand, ok for fit-out work.
Compared to others in the market the Portamate miter saw stand is a no-nonsense and practical stand for any miter saw. Its simplicity and ruggedness make it a great addition to the DIY, er or contractors toolkit. The stand once locked with its simple button system ensures a solid stable work platform.
The weight handling is top of all other similar stands coming in at 500 pounds, more than enough for most woodworking or construction projects. Once work is done the stand folds into a lightweight compact unit to be stored or thrown int the back of a pickup.
If you are tired of having your miter saw sitting on a benchtop or on the floor then you definitely could use a saw stand such as this. The Portamate miter saw stand PM4000 is a simple but very effective stand that is available at a budget price. While not in the class of a DeWalt miter saw stand, it does have its place for many DIY users and based on most reviews, it’s well worth the money.