Contractors like to use the best paint sprayer they can because of the time-saving factor and for the finish they can produce. They can simply get more jobs completed in less time with a professional finish. Some people claim that sprayers may be 10 times faster than brushing or rolling paint.
The same applies to DIY and home use. Paint sprayers will create a professional paint finish in very little time. They are a great asset to have in your home workshop. They can be used for interior and exterior paint jobs as well as provide an excellent finish for your wood or metal projects.
In this article, we review 6 of the best paint sprayers for both DIY and professional who needs a quality painting sprayer.
Below are the Best Airless Paint Sprayers
Here are the Best HVLP paint Sprayers.
|HomeRight Power Flo Pro 2800 C800879 Airless Paint Sprayer Spray Gun, Power Painting for Home...||Buy on Amazon|
|Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer, Blue||$335.00||Buy on Amazon|
Best Paint Sprayer Reviews- Our Top Four Airless Sprayers
|Top Pick||Close Second||Best For Handyman||Best Budget|
|Best Airless painter for DIY||Gets consistent 4/12 – 5 star ratings||Very handy setup, from Graco USA||Quality airless sprayer at a budget price|
|Graco is a well-known brand used by renovation contractors as well as serious DIYers. The x5 is a quality airless sprayer capable of delivering top results||Graco Magnum 257025 can support up to a 50-foot hose, which is great for reaching high ceilings or walls. It’s a reliable choice for most DIY projects including fences, decks, and sheds||The Graco x7 airless paint sprayer is similar to the Graco 262800. The main difference is that this model has a wheeled stand. This is an ideal setup for an airless sprayer||The Homeright Power Flow Pro is another solid option for DIY and handymen. An airless paint sprayer that delivers superb performance – 1/2 horsepower motor and 2800 PSI spray capacity|
|View On Amazon||View On Amazon||View On Amazon||View On Amazon|
#1. Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
This Graco Magnum features a stainless steel piston pump and a fully adjustable flow. You can also spray materials directly from the bucket or can that you purchased the paint in.
When using the Magnum with water-based material, cleanup is fast and easy. Simply deploy the power flash adapter that connects to any garden hose to wash out the whole system. You can also reverse the tip to clean it out when clogged. It comes with a 25-foot flex hose, but it can handle a hose up to 75 feet long, giving you greater accessibility in hard-to-reach areas.
What’s In The Box?
- – 25-foot flex hose
- All metal spray gun
- Main pump system
- Spray tip
- Power flush adaptor
- Quick start guide
- Owners manual
What Is The Magnum 262800 Best Used For
You can use it for cost-effective and efficient finishing of all kinds of interiors and exteriors – including furniture, siding, fences, decks and more.
Included is a flexible suction tube that allows you to spray directly from 5 gallon and 1-gallon paint containers. This is handy since you never have to transfer your finishing material from the can it comes into the spray gun.
Quality From A Trustworthy Brand
Graco is a well-known brand often used by remodeling contractors as well as serious do-it-yourselfers. It’s a quality piece of equipment capable of delivering a professional touch. But the more experienced you are with spray finishing, the easier it will be to use – and the better your results. But this Graco model is also newbie-friendly. Just take your time and always practice on scrap material beforehand.
Take the time to learn the aspects of the system. Also, check out the various tips available and choose accordingly. Learn about the pressure required to get the kind of finish you’re looking for.
This spray finisher is very well-made. It’s quite durable despite being lightweight. Be sure to invest some time in reading the owners manual and get to know your spray gun and how best to handle this useful tool.
The bulk of time with spray finishing is covering everything else up but the surface you want to finish. The actual application of the finish goes quickly.
When first spraying with any new system, you’re probably going to use more finish material than you’d like. It’s just a matter of getting comfortable with your equipment.
– Good value for the money
– Durable and sturdy – made from metal, so it can easily withstand regular use from contractors
– Clear directions with easy-to-understand features
– Extremely lightweight and easy to hold making spray finishing a breeze
– Excellent results with minimal effort – looks like a professional job
– Applies a smooth and even coat with a consistent output (crucial when spray finishing)
– A job goes quite quickly with this spray finisher
– Quality build – most parts are made from metal and not cheap plastic
– Works perfectly right out of the box on products right out of the can (without straining or thinning)
– You can’t just pick up the gun and start spraying (you need to cover everything around the surface you’re spraying – as you would with any system)
– It uses more finish material (paint) than you may be used to
– Sprayer loses suction when there are about 2 inches left in the bottom of the can or pail (so you need to proactively manage your paint supply) Tip, place remaining paint into a smaller container to use more up.
– Setup and cleanup takes longer than using a paintbrush or roller
– May clog a lot depending on the finish you’re using (more likely with un-thinned and unfiltered finishes)
#2. Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer
Another popular sprayer from Graco – the Magnum 257025. This one has built-in storage compartments that provide space for a power cord, extra spray tips, and the spray gun. You can spray-paint without thinning – directly from a paint bucket. The pressure is fully adjustable giving you complete control of the paint flow.
Thanks to the reverse tip feature, you can unclog any backed-up nozzle quickly and easily. That means any interruption will be short-lived and you can get back to maintaining a rhythm to your finishing.
Graco Magnum 257025 can support a 50-foot hose, which is good for reaching higher ceilings or second stories. It’s a reliable choice for most home-improvement products including fences, decks, and sheds. As with all Graco products, the magnum spray system is manufactured right here in the USA.
Recommended annual use for the 257125 Project Painter plus is 50 gallons of paint per year.
What’s In The Box?
- 25-foot flex hose
- Spray gun
- Main pump armor
- Spray tip
- Quick start guide
- Owners manual
This sprayer features a low-profile design with an integrated hook (for the pail of paint) – so it’s easy to carry the whole system with you. It also connects to garden hose for quick clean up when used with water-based materials.
As with any paint sprayer, you need to make sure that all surrounding items are completely covered with drop cloths as paint that’s atomized can spray quite a distance from your gun location.
The job you’re doing may require a different tip – and several are readily available. For example, if you’re finishing kitchen cabinets, you’ll want to use a finer tip then the general, all-purpose tip that ships standard with the Graco 257025 model.
It can handle non-flammable materials that can be cleaned with water or mineral spirits – which includes some oil-based finishes and paints. Overall, this Graco Magnum provides good value for your money and is capable of delivering a professional paint finish. One job of a suitable size can easily pay for the spray system all by itself.
Don’t be turned off by the extensive directions that are supplied – they’re actually quite helpful. If you’re new to spray finishing, it’s going to take a while until you get comfortable with the process. But it’s nice to see that this manufacturer cares enough to include every conceivable detail related to your spray finishing system and how to achieve the finish you seek.
– You don’t have to fill a separate paint receptacle as you can simply connect the line directly to the pail
– Nozzle can be set vertically or horizontally – depending on the project you’re spraying
– Removing blockages is easy – just reverse the nozzle and pull the trigger to clear a blockage
– Pump itself only operates when the trigger is pulled so it’s not very noisy at all (It’s also likely to prolong the life of the pump)
– Comes apart easily for cleaning
– Good coverage area with a consistent spray
– Instructions are very detailed
– The sprayer itself is a quality build
– Can use considerably more paint or finish material than you’re used to with a roller
– May need to buy a separate nozzle for the job depending on the application
– Somewhat of a learning curve for someone who has never used a spray finisher before
#3 – Graco Magnum 262805 X7 Airless Sprayer And Cart
The Graco 262805 x7 airless paint sprayer is similar in performance to the Graco 262800. The obvious difference being that this model has a wheeled stand. This is an ideal setup for an airless sprayer. My sprayer is an early version of the 262800 and sits on the ground. I find that every time I use the sprayer that I elevate the machine using a small trestle bench so its easy to, 1 – get the tube into the paint can and 2-, make it easier to move about if needed. Having the wheeled stand does make things a lot easier as it lets the paint tin be moved with the sprayer unit.
Recommended annual use for the 257125 Project Painter plus is 150 gallons of paint per year. The sprayer will handle a hose of 100 feet so getting the spray gun up to a second story is not a problem.
Powered by a powerful 5/8 HP motor with a spray pressure of 3000 psi
Ideal for Handyman and DIY use this sprayer will handle inside and outside jobs with ease. Painter is suitable for house exteriors, fencing, sheds, garage doors, decks, and interior walls.
What Comes In The Box?
- 25-foot Duraflex hose
- Sg2 Spray gun
- Pump armor
- Pump storage fluid
- RAC IV 515 Spray tip
- Quick start guide
- Owners manual
What We Like
- Gets a 4.5 / 5 star rating from other buyers
- Stainless-steel piston pumps
- Spray a wide variety of coating from stains to heavy latex
- No need to thin latex paint
- Garden hose adaptor for fast and easy cleaning and flushing
- SwitchTip lets reverse the tip to clear when it gets clogged to keep you spraying
What We Dont Like
- Supplied hose is only 25 ft
HomeRight Power Flo Pro 2800 C800879 Airless Paint Sprayer Spray
The Homeright Power Flow Pro is another solid option in the portable spray finishing market. It’s an airless paint sprayer that delivers superb performance – thanks to its 1/2 horsepower motor and 2800 PSI spray capacity.
With the HomeRight, you can go ahead and spray paint that hasn’t been thinned. And chances are you’ll get a perfect spraying pattern. There’s an easy control knob that allows you to direct the paint flow until you have it just right for the job. I found that thinner is better – even if it means adding an additional coat.
Included is a 25-foot long non-kinking hose, which makes it easier to paint for long stretches without the disruption of moving your whole set-up. When it is time to relocate, it’s no big deal though. since the Power Flo Pro sports a carrying handle on top.
You can connect the spray system directly to any paint container, saving you the hassle of transferring material from one canister to another.
Ideal DIY Spray Painter
Doing it yourself with an airless paint sprayer can easily save thousands of dollars on a single job – when you tackle painting your home. With a decent system like the Power Flo Pro – painting exterior surfaces like garages, fences, sheds, and decks is a walk in the park. And it’s backed by a two-year warranty.
This power sprayer is capable of handling quite a wide variety of finishing materials. It works quite well with un-thinned latex and oil-based stains, paints, and sealers too. The 2800 PSI allows you to tackle large projects and get professional results – in much less time than it would take you with a roller and brush.
What’s In The Box?
- – Chrome-plated spray gun with installed filter
- Sprayer unit
- Reversible spray tip and guard (helps remove any clogs fast)
- 25-foot spray hose
- Owners manual
Cleanup of the Power Flo Pro is quick and easy. Simply run a solution of water (or mineral spirits if you’re using an oil-based finish) and mild soap through the sprayer until it has been thoroughly cleaned.
- Performs as well as any other professional model spray guns used before
- Much lighter and more mobile than a lot of spray finishing options
- Reasonably priced sprayer
- Easy to set up, use and clean afterward
- Doesn’t require thinning (with some finishes)
- Powerful spray finisher
- Easier to move around than other paint sprayers
- Can leak if you don’t tighten all the hose connections with a wrench
- No variable spray pattern option available
- Spray width is dependent on the distance between the spray gun and the item you’re spraying
- Instructions lack clarity
Best HVLP Paint Sprayers
|Top Pick||Next Best||Best Professional||Best on A Budget|
|HomeRight Finish Max HVLP Paint Sprayer||YATTICH Paint Sprayer, 700W High Power HVLP Spray Gun|
|View On Amazon||View On Amazon||View On Amazon||View On Amazon|
HomeRight Finish Max C800766, C900076 HVLP Paint Sprayer Power Painter
This HVLP model of HomeRight finishing paint sprayer is easy to set up, easy to use and easier to clean than some of the more popular products. This is a budget price spray set up so most of the materials are plastic. But having a brass spray tip is significant because that’s what controls the flow of the material and this part needs to be strong and stable.
Surprisingly, for such a low-cost sprayer this one fits comfortably in your hands. It’s lightweight and so there’s less fatigue as you spray on various finishes. This HomeRight model is suitable for a variety of projects including finishing furniture, cabinets, crafts, and that sort of thing.
It can handle a wide range of materials (both oil and water-based) including milk paint, latex paint, primers, sealers polyurethane, stain, varnish, and even enamels.
What’s In The Box?
– Finish Max spray gun
– Air nozzle
– Cleaning brush
– Viscosity cup (for thinning finishes to the perfect consistency)
A super tight seal prevents leaking and allows the canister to pressurize and deliver consistent airflow. With 400 watts of power, it’s a more than capable HVLP finish sprayer delivering a precise and consistent spray pattern and creates a fine, professional-like finish – even by newbies.
You can regulate the outflow of material easily and this spray gun delivers more output and more pressure – making it a sure-fire winner for a multitude of do-it-yourself projects.
Occasional leaks can occur no matter how tight you try to make it. But this is easily fixed with a little Teflon tape or Saran wrap on the threaded sections.
Quality Finish For A Budget Price
HomeRight’s Finish Max can hold up to 27 ounces of paint and deliver three different spray patterns. You will have to refill this sprayer on occasion, as you would with any shop spray gun and compressor set up. It’s not a big problem – just a minor coincidence. But the Finish Max is a much more economical option and with a little practice, delivers a quality finish.
- Provides a professional finish
- Flows evenly and consistently
- Low-cost spray system
- Easy to use right out-of-the-box
- Ergonomically comfortable and lightweight
- Capable of spraying a variety of finish materials
- Easy to use
- Perfect for smaller jobs
– Not a heavy-duty spray set up, entry-level quality.
– Thinning the paint to get just the right viscosity can be time-consuming and frustrating when first using
– Uses more paint than a roller or brush would
– Does not come with a cap for a paint reservoir
– You have to keep refilling it
Wagner Spraytech 0529010 FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer
The Wagner Spraytech is another economical option for spray finishing walls, ceilings, fences, decks, patio furniture, siding, cabinets, and trim.
Unlike most spray finishing systems that simply give you a single general-purpose nozzle, Wagner supplies two different nozzles. You get an I-spray nozzle for large jobs (like the side of a barn) and a detailed finish nozzle – which is great for small projects (like deck chairs and crafts).
The Wagner Spraytech is said to be three times more powerful than traditional high-volume low-pressure sprayers. Combine that with a spray system that operates quietly, compared to traditional airless sprayers – and you’ve got a winning system worth a second look.
The Spraytech 0529010 is capable of spraying the un-thinned interior and exterior finishes, paints, and stains. Pattern adjustments can be wide or narrow – horizontal or vertical. And it really depends on the job as to the best pattern to use. With nine-speed settings on the dial, it’s a simple task to adjust the flow of material to create the finish you’re looking for.
Quick nozzle change capability on the Wagner allows you to change your coatings and/or colors with ease and speed. And cleanup is fast too. For a variety of interior remodeling jobs like door casings, baseboards, and interior doors – this makes a great choice.
What We Liked
– Good value for the money (solid results at a budget price)
– Produces a consistent stream of paint when strained and thinned correctly
– Economical – paint seems to go a lot further than you might expect
– Particularly effective when applying primer
– Superfast way to stain a fence or deck
– A simple and quick way to staining balusters and lattice
– Can save you a ton of time
– Delivers a consistent and even finish (once you master holding and using it)
– Sooth and even coverage
– Easy to set up right out of the box
– Assembly is easy
What We Found Lacking
– Latex paint really needs to be strained (despite what the instructions recommend)
– A full load of paint makes the gun heavy and more cumbersome
– Good for spraying small objects and flat surfaces (but it can become awkward and cumbersome when you’re trying to do large projects)
– Design lacks balance causing fatigue (Weight is in the front where the paint receptacle is)
– Loosening the paint cup from the gun can be difficult once it’s caked in the paint (keep things tidy as you go)
– Cleaning can take a while
Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO 2 Spray System
This HVLP paint sprayer is a beast! If you are wanting top quality finishes this machine will deliver. Perfectly suited for professional painters, small business workshops, home renovators and dedicated DIY.
For DIY and around the home the Fuji Spray System is ideal. Use for painting interior doors, walls, and ceilings, great for furniture and cabinets. It also can be used on outdoor projects.
The Fuji Spray can handle all types of paint so is also ideal for painting automotive and motorcycle panels and components.
Benefits of the Fuji Sprayer
- Uses a dedicated fan pattern control. This allows for all position spraying with precision and less paint waste. The fan is adjustable to positions of 1 inch round up to 12 inches in an oval pattern.
- Quick and easy to dismantle for cleaning and maintenance.
- Will spray different materials of different viscosity including latex, stains and more tech coatings such as for bathtubs.
- Multiple air cap-sizes.
- Fluid passages are stainless steel to prevent needle tip wear. Great for solvent-based coatings as well as latex
- Powerful 2 stage 1400 watt motor that will handle any kind of coatings.
- Metal case
- Weight, 25.2 pounds
- Dimensions, 16 x 9.5 x 12.5 inches
What’s in The Box
- Fuji Spray Metal Turbine with gun holder
- M-Model professional nin-bleed spray gun & tip
- 1.3mm Air cap set installed
- Bottom feed cup, 1 QT capacity.
- 25-foot hose with air control valve. ( reduces bounce back and overspray)
- User manual
The Fuji Sprayer is not your budget HVLP paint sprayer and is suited for professionals and DIY and renovators who require a top quality finish. For instance, if you were to re-spray all your kitchen cabinets this sprayer would pay for itself with just that one job should it be done by outsiders.
The Difference Between Airless Sprayers And HVLP Paint Sprayers
Airless sprayers work by using a piston that pressurizes the paint and forcing it through a spray nozzle. Airless sprayers are for getting a lot of paint our quickly and are most suited to painting large flat surfaces. This includes interior and exterior walls, fences and decks, plus industrial type use like machines, tanks, and large doors.
- Great for all types of paint and stains.
- Compare to using a paint roller
- More powerful than HVLP
HVLP – or high-pressure low volume paint sprayers are more for precision work. Here they are best used on areas such as cabinetry, window trim, doors, fine furniture. Metal and wood.
- Best for fine work
- Compare with using a brush
You can see here that these are two different types of sprayers suited to different projects. So in many cases, one would need to have both types in the workshop depending on what you do. For paint contractors, having one of each would be mandatory.
Airless paint sprayers can be a tremendous help – whatever projects you’re working on or need to paint or finish in the future. We’ve narrowed our selection to the best paint sprayers on the market today and pointed out where each one shines as well as where it loses some of that luster. But which one is the most ideal for you is something only you can decide.
Our top pick overall is the Graco Magnum 26800 airless paint sprayer, and the Fuji Spray 2 for the HVLP sprayer. Truth is, you really can’t go wrong with any of our solutions. It’s just a matter of matching your needs and budget to a sprayer that comes recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best paint sprayer for furniture or kitchen cabinets – Airless or HVLP, depending on the quality of the machine.
What is the best paint sprayer for interior walls or ceilings, – Airless
What is the best paint sprayer for trim or handrails – HVLP
What is the best paint sprayer for spraying latex – Both, airless for large areas, HVLP for fine work.
What is the best paint sprayer for painting exterior walls, fences, staining fences, decks, – Airless
What is the best paint sprayer for home DIY use? – For general painting Airless, for small crafts and projects HVLP.